Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Advice needed!

I have a couple more projects today inspired by the perfect pearls Holiday Inking class on Two Peas last week. I really like the colours in both, and had fun trying out new things to make accent pieces on each card- however the first has a major oops that I need your advice on, as you are all so much more experienced than me, and so very talented :)

For this card I ran a piece of acetate through my Texture Boutique with the Swiss Dots Cuttlebug folder, and adhered it to a white card. Then I covered a piece of cardstock with Dusty Concord Distress ink and pounced Blue Patina, Green Patina, and Pewter Perfect Pearls over the ink with a paintbrush, and then spritzed it with water to set the pearls. I inked the Hero Arts Flourish Pine stamp with white Color Box ink and stamped it over the pearly paper. I cut a piece the length of the card and used a Fiskars border punch to punch the top and bottom pieces. I punched a circle, using a Fiskars circle punch, ran dry adhesive all over the back and then looped silver ribbon around the circle, forming a flower design. I squirted some glossy accents here and there to make sure it stayed put and then adhered another punched circle to the back to make it easier to mount to the card.

 Do you see the big oops?! How about a close up....


Apparently I cannot use Glossy Accents to adhere acetate to a piece of cardstock that has been covered in perfect pearls lol!!! So.... what would you have done to adhere the piece, or otherwise stamp the sentiment on the circle? I tried stamping directly (using Stazon), but I think due to the perfect pearls it was very dull and did not stand out at all. My 'fix' was to stamp on acetate and stick it over- but you see how well that worked lol!! I'm thinking now in hindsight that embossing would probably have been my best move, right? But are there any tricks for adhering acetate to paper without the glue showing through?

I had some scraps of that pretty stamped metallic pearly paper left over, so I used it to make another quick card.


For this one, I ran a white card through my texture boutique using the Swiss Dots folder again, and then punched two more circles from the paper, adhering them to the card. I then took a strip of the left over paper, punched it using the border punch, and using my Martha Stewert scoring board, scored it at 1/8 inch intervals. I then formed the paper into a rosette and stuck it to another punched circle, putting a large blob on Glossy Accents in the middle to make sure it stays put! I then added the purple ribbon to the top, and tied a bow with the silver ribbon, and adhered it to the rosette with more glossy accents.

I loved how the rosette turned out, and it took me forever to get that cute little bow looking right- so I thought lets do a close up of a yey to counteract the oops above lol!!


I really liked playing with my perfect pearls finally, and love how the techniques turned out! Looking forward to hearing your tips for me on how to avoid my boo-boo in future :)

Lynsey x

1 comment:

  1. I normally stick something on top of the acetate (flower, gem, stamped image, punched item) and then only put the glue behind that part.
    Or punch a hole through the acetate and paper and tie them together with ribbon.
    Or use brads.
    Eg. For your card, you could have put 3 punched out stars, grouping 2 together in one place, and the other on it's own & glue them to front of acetate. Then glue behind them on the acetate to glue to paper.
    Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete