Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Trick or Treat!

Too early for Trick or Treating? Not according to the 2 girls that came to our door on Sunday night dressed in tu-tu's and carrying big pillow cases for their expected loot! When Jase pointed out that they were two weeks early they went on to explain that they were grounded on Halloween so they had to do it early, uhh okay! They were out of luck here as we don't get the candy in until a couple of days before, but I wonder how many other houses on the street they managed to swindle out of some treats! I feel extremely old and boring when I say this, but "ugh, kids!!".

Anyway, our premature trick or treaters combined with the huge (well huge for California) storms that have been passing through the past couple of days have started to get me in the mood for Halloween. Last night, with my flashlight beside me in case the storms knocked the power out, I put together this Halloween card. See below for details:


I created the polished stone background by pouncing Purple Twighlight, Sunset Orange and Pitch Black Tim Holtz Adirondack Alcohol Inks onto acetate until I got my desired effect and then adhered this to white paper to highlight the colours and texture more effectively.

The purple layer was dry embossed using the Cuttlebug Distressed Stripes folder in my new Sizzix Texture Boutique, and then I swiped Black Soot Tim Holtz Distress Ink over the raised pieces. I rounded the corners and then adhered to the card, rounding those corners also.

The haunted house design was cut using my Cricut Expression, from the Pumpkin Carving cartridge, and then heat embossed with clear powder all over to give it a more shiny texture. This was adhered to the acetate background and then adhered to the card front.

The sentiment and crow (which Jase said look like seagulls, yeah thanks lol!!) stickers are from this set by EK Success.

If you click on any of the product links above, you'll see Joann has up to 40% off all their stamping and scrapbooking supplies! I'm a Joann's junkie and lurve shopping online with them. You can always find free shipping codes by searching on Google too, which is great when your local craft stores have a really small selection of goodies!

Oh, one last thing!! I participated in a couple of challenges for Stamptoberfest over at Two Peas, and won the random drawing for one of them!! Woohoo!! I never win anything so it was such a surprise, and I can't wait to get my cute new birdy stamps in the mail from the lovely, generous Daria!

3 comments:

  1. Amazing background you made! I love the texture and dark colors! It's hard to believe that you are new to card-making!! It takes me TWO years to get to where I am...slow learner I am! Congrats on your random win at Two Peas! I think it's a sign...don't you think!? Keep creating! Thanks for stopping by my blog :)
    PS: It's the first time I heard kids showing up two weeks early for Halloween!! What NERVE! Good thing they didn't come to mine as I am not prepared (LOL)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool card!Love the haunted house with the embossing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Lynsey! What a pretty card! Love the texture and variation in your background! It just glows! :-)

    ReplyDelete