Friday, October 22, 2010

Feeling thankful for my Mum!

As most of you will already know, October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. It is so important for us women to remember to do our self exams monthly and to actually GO to the doctor if we find something that seems unusual, or get unusual pains, to get it checked out. I learned the importance of this ten years ago when my Mum was diagnosed with breast cancer. She had been experiencing tenderness and numbness, and was a little worried but kept putting off doing anything about it thinking it would go away. She didn't feel a lump, so figured it couldn't be anything too serious. Luckily, her coworker convinced her to go to the doctor and just get it looked at. The next few months were a whirlwind, as she was rushed through the notoriously slow NHS to be treated for advanced breast cancer.

It's not something I like to think of often, but sometimes I just have to take a minute to be thankful that Mum got the courage to go to the doctor that day. If she had put it off much longer, she may not have been with us today. I know I often take my Mum for granted, especially for everything she has done to support me through my health issues the past couple of years, and I can't even imagine how hard life would be without her. She was so brave throughout her battle, and I can happily report she is now healthy and happy! I wanted to take some time this month seeing as it is the tenth anniversary of her diagnosis, and also breast cancer awareness month to hopefully spread a little awareness myself, but also to let my Mum know how much I love her, and how thankful I am to have her in my life. As I have been getting into card making over the past month, I decided what better way to celebrate my mother than by making her a card!

I was inspired to create this card by the sketch over at EBTKS Challenge #25, and I will be entering it in their challenge to hopefully spread a little awareness over there also!

I made the ribbon stamp myself using my Cricut, Cuttables stamp sheet, SCAL, and a free SVG from SVG Cuts and then clear embossed it onto the pink stripes that had been adhered to the card front. The sentiment was printed from Word onto the backing piece which was cut using the Accent Essentials Cricut cartridge and inked with Spun Sugar and Worn Lipstick Distress Ink. I inked white ribbon with Worn Lipstick and folded it to form the awareness ribbon, and added a little bling with the gems! Finally, as I thought it was missing something, I 'stitched' around the card using a white gel pen!

Love you Mum!! xxxx

3 comments:

  1. Wow, love this! I'm sure your mom will love it, too!

    Thanks for playing with us EBTKS girls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what a special post. So glad your Mother's story has had a good ending. How wonderful she has been able to support you with your own issues. Wonderful card to mark the anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great card! She will love it! Thanks so much for joining us in the EBTKS challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete