Sunday, September 4, 2011

Feeling Vintage

I'm just going to pretend I didn't go missing for a month again, ok? ok... I promise I will fill you in on what I've been up to over the next few weeks- it's been a busy and exciting few weeks!

Hubby went to visit with a friend this afternoon, something about cars, guns and just generally getting oily and sweaty lol! I opted to stay indoors in the cool, with the ceiling fans running and take some time to catch up on bloggy land and do some creating.

I was feeling in a vintagey (is that a word? If not, I'm making it one!) mood since we spent Friday evening wandering around town exploring the local antique stores. We're starting a little collection of antique finds and like to rummage around to see if anything stands out to us. Jase loves anything old military, or old toy trucks etc. I love anything old style with a country or vintage home feel. How stereotypical are we? hehe! Anyway, we didn't find anything on that adventure, but got to meet some lovely new people in town which is always fun.

Another thing that's got me into a vintagey (if I use the word twice in one post, then it definitely counts as a word- whether spellcheck agrees or not!) mood, is my new venture... but more on that in a minute!

Firstly, and of course most importantly, here's my vintage feel card that I created this afternoon.

I used the current Hero Arts color challenge to inspire my color choices, and reached for my HA Make Your Own stamp, to ink it up for the first time... with Distress Ink of course! I stamped onto kraft paper and then distressed and inked the edges to add to that worn, old look. I then stamped HA Dots and Flowers onto a piece of burnt red cardstock and distressed and inked the edges of that piece also. I used my crop-o-dile to add the eyelet and threaded through a piece of ribbon that I had dyed green using more Distress Ink. These pieces were then adhered to a piece of sandy colored card, and matted onto some green cardstock. I inked the sentiment, from HA Thank You For Being My Friend set, lightly with Stazon so that it wasn't as crisp and bold as usual when stamped, again adding to the aged feel of the card.

So, my new venture.... let me ask, do you remember Watkins?

Maybe this picture will help jog your memory?....



If you grew up in America, then depending on how, erm... vintage.. you are, you probably remember your grandmother, or mother using J.R Watkins products in their baking. You might even remember the Watkins man coming door to door, delivering all kinds of lotions and potions and spices and extracts?

I don't have these memories unfortunately, having grown up in the UK. But, I was happy to stumble upon this company, and their products recently at a local country craft day in town. I was drawn in to the stall by the display of all kinds of bottles and tins and boxes, packaged in this old fashioned design which we've established already that I am increasingly a sucker for :) I was told the story of the Watkins man, and about the award winning Vanilla, and Black Pepper and Cinnamon. Then, when I took a closer look at the products, I became even more intrigued..... the array of personal care and cleaning products I saw before me amongst the spices, and mixes, and extracts, were all natural!!!

If you know a little about me, you will know that since being diagnosed with Endometriosis, I have been on a mission to eliminate as much processed food, and chemicals and preservatives as possible from our home. It turns out that Watkins' mission is to produce natural products that are good for us, and the environment.

Natural products? Vintage packaging?

I'm sold!

After talking to the lovely lady manning the stall (Hi Sandy!!), and finding out that I could save 25% on these all natural, beautifully packaged products just by getting the membership package and becoming an Independent Watkins Associate, I decided, hey, this sounded like something I might be interested in! So I signed up! (something you may have been well aware of well before getting to this point in the post seeing as I have a badge declaring this fact right at the top of my blog, hehe!)

Here's the thing.... I don't want to put you off, thinking I'm now going to be aggressively pushing these products down your throat. I don't intend to do that at all. However, I'm excited for this new venture, and to try some new products that will hopefully help me in my goal of using all natural products in my home and improving my health. When I try these new products, if I love them as much as I hope to hopefully you won't mind me sharing them with you and sharing links to these products so you can try them too if you wish. From time to time, I will share offers with you and incentives for hosting catalog parties etc. Best of all I hope to offer regular blog candy- and we all love blog candy, right?!!!

If you are interested in Watkins, and what they have to offer- either in terms of products, or the chance to save 25% and start a home business of your own with no minimum sales goals like other direct sales companies, then please take a look at my Independent Watkins Associate site Natural Living with Lynsey.
The new catalog will be released in October and I will be offering incentives for anyone who would be interested in hosting a catalog party with their family and friends, and earning free product- a great way to save on Christmas gifts this year :-). If you are interested, or have any questions, please leave a comment here, or email me at lynzwrona521@yahoo.com.

I hope you will join me in my excitement in my new venture! Tell me, do you have memories of Watkins? Do you use Watkins already and have a favorite product you couldn't live without?

Hope you are having a wonderful holiday weekend!

Love Lynsey x


1 comment:

  1. Another great card! I like the little ribbon and eyelet, very nice touch! Good luck with your new adventure, it sounds like you are quite excited about it! That's a great start!

    ReplyDelete